P.S. The ingredient list might seem long, but the short direction list makes up for it I promise!!
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb Chicken Breast, frozen or thawed
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 15 oz Can Mexican Style Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 4 oz Can Chopped Green Chiles (you can find these in the Mexican section of your regular grocery store)
- 15 oz Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Can Golden Hominy, drained
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbls Chili Powder (I like the Mexican Chili Powder, but regular works to)
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Pepper
- To Garnish: Cilantro, Limes, Light Sour Cream, and Baked Corn Tortilla Chips (recipe follows)
- Place all ingredients in Crock Pot starting with the Chicken
- Turn on Low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours; 1 hour before serving, shred chicken with two forks and place back in pot for the last hour.
- Taste for seasoning, finish with juice of 1 lime and 1 tsp lime zest right before serving...delicious!
For Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut 6 corn tortillas in "tortilla chip shapes"and place on a baking sheet, spray evenly with cooking spray, toss to coat
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, chili powder or whatever seasoning you like
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes tossing after 5. Enjoy!