What's this? Another vegetarian recipe? Yes sir it is! With all of the great feedback from my "Fiber Balls" post I decided to keep the vegetarian love going with these yummy burgers packed with fiber, protein, and veggies! I also came up with a quick and easy topping that is the perfect compliment for the burger. So, go ahead and embrace Meatless Monday tomorrow after a little cooking video inspiration!
Black Bean and Quinoa Burger
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Scallions, green parts only, sliced
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tsp Salt Free Steak Seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs (I used fresh Whole Wheat crumbs)
- Optional-Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns and Feta Cheese
- Cook Quinoa: Bring 1 Cup of water and 1/2 cup quinoa to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until liquid is totally absorbed. Set Aside
- In a food processor, blend together 1/2 of the beans, all scallions, carrot, garlic, and egg until smooth. Next add in the 1/2 of the quinoa and spices, process until smooth again,
- Remove mixture from the processor and stir in the bread crumbs and reaming beans and quinoa. Chill mixture for 20-30 minutes. TIP: You can also do this ahead and time and leave in the refrigerator for a couple of days until your ready to cook the burgers.
- Next heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, sprayed with cooking spray, scoop out patties and place in the skillet, gently mashing down to even out the patty.
- Cook on each side for 6 minutes. Serve with Avocado-Tomato Topping and Feta Cheese if desired
For the Topping:
- 2 Avocados, cubed
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
Combine all ingredients and smash gently with the back of a fork, serve on burger.